Firstly, can anyone give an indication of when serial number 08659 rolled off the production line?
The owner had them set up in a very peculiar manner - at 90 degrees to eachother (!)
Naturally this made it quite difficult to make any real assessment of the sonic abilities of these old girls. But I gave it my best shot and listened to a few tracks. The speakers were being driven by a Leak Stereo 20, with a Tascam CD player and some form of eq device up front.
He told me that when he purchased the Altecs, he was informed by the seller that the xo's needed overhauling, but he hasn't found time to do it.
There seemed to be a fair bit missing from the sound to me. But I can honestly say, I was left thinking that there was a lot of potential. New xo's, better front end, speakers facing in the right direction, etc. That is the only conclusion I could draw.
Anyhow, here is a couple of pics.
![]()









Bookmarks